Friday, May 8, 2009

March 6, 2009

It’s Friday and our first week of teaching is coming to a close. It’s hard for me to believe that is was one week ago today that I boarded the plane in Seattle!

Idella and I had a very busy week with a long bus ride to and from Vidiguiera (30K/45 min away). We spent our days split between two schools – one secondary, one vocational; or site seeing with an employee of the village’s municipal, and then teaching in the afternoon.

We are in great demand at the secondary school, more so than at the vocational school. Word spread quickly throughout the secondary school that two “American teachers” were visiting. It has been so rewarding to see the shyness and timid-ness lift. Confidence is building; students are opening up, asking questions. They are no longer covering up their faces and mouths with their hands or scarves or shirts.

The students enjoy teaching me words and phrases in Portuguese. They giggle when I stumble, but praise heavily when I get it right. We have found common ground.

- Michelle Lindstrom

Thought of the day: By learning you will teach; by teaching you will understand.

No comments: